ISI Interview

Amit Goyal
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Some of you have written to me asking what they ask in an ISI interview. Here is my reply:

ISI interview will not be too different from solving problems in an economics entrance exam. Its just that you will now be asked to solve those problems on the board. To prepare for it you need to practice problem solving. Unlike entrance exams, there is lesser or no scope to skip explanations that goes with each step. For example: Suppose you are asked to solve the following problem:
Let X and Y be i.i.d Uniform [0, 1]. Find the cumulative distribution function of Z = max{X, Y}.
Lets say you know how to do it and you wrote:
For 0 < z < 1,
Pr(Z ≤ z)
= Pr(max{X, Y} ≤ z)
= Pr(X ≤ z, Y ≤ z)                 (why?)
= Pr(X ≤ z)Pr(Y ≤  z)              (why?)
= z^2
Remember to answer those whys along with the derivation.

Re: ISI Interview

n.saish
Thank you Sir, is it the same for IGIDR ?

Re: ISI Interview

Preet
Pardon my ignorance but can someone provide explanation for these 'why'?

Amit Goyal wrote
Some of you have written to me asking what they ask in an ISI interview. Here is my reply:

ISI interview will be not too different from solving problems in an economics entrance exam. Its just that you will now be asked to solve those problems on the board. To prepare for it you need to practice problem solving. Unlike entrance exams, there is lesser or no scope to skip explanations that goes with each step. For example: Suppose you are asked to solve the following problem:
= z^2
Remember to answer those whys along with the derivation.

Re: ISI Interview

Mr. Nobody
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: ISI Interview

Jim_Moriarity
Sir,
     Could you please suggest us some sample questions for the interview.
A bunch of questions coming for ISI interview.

Regards,
Dibyo.

Re: ISI Interview

Jim_Moriarity
Only 7 days left for the ISI Delhi interview.
What should be done now?
My focus being solely on ISI D interview.

Re: ISI Interview

Anand
This post was updated on .
Meet your seniors.They will help you in good preparation of interview.Best of luck.
Yo

Re: ISI Interview

Yo
In the interview do they ask anything from econometrics ??

Re: ISI Interview

amalgamateking
ISI entrance doesn't focus on econometrics afaik. The syllabus says probability and statistics upto random variables. Even estimation and hypothesis testing isn't there. I have never come across any senior of mine telling me that he/she was asked an econometrics problem in the interview (Delhi or Kolkata)

Also, please check your email, I have sent you one.
iti

Re: ISI Interview

iti
 Hey can someone provide solution to this question?

A professor has 20 hours to allocate between two PhD students. Let x1 and x2 be the time
allocated to the two students. The utility of each student is as follows:
U1 = −|x1 − 2| and U2 = −|x2 − 8|
(a) Find the set of Pareto efficient allocations.
(b) What will be the optimal time allocation if the professor maximizes a social function
given by : min{U1, U2}

Re: ISI Interview

ALIBABA
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: ISI Interview

Seecha
alibaba ... can you plz help me out with diagram of this ques. asked by iti?

Re: ISI Interview

Sakshi Agarwal
The answer to this question is that he should allocate 2 hrs to x1 and 8 hrs to x2 because then their utilities will be zero and this is the highest that they can achieve. Because if any other time is alloted to x1, lets say, 4, then his utility will be -2, which is less than zero. Thus, because the utility is negative of modulus, they cannot achieve a higher utility than zero. the no. of hours allocated is to them is kind of bad for the individuals.